Webdiro Directory : web information guide » Article Details

How to stop hair loss

Date Added: December 22, 2007 12:49:26 PM
Category: Health: Health Care

Many of us face the problem of hair loss, due to many reasons such as not having proper diet, the external surroundings, pollutions etc. So we need to take a lot of care for preventing hair loss, & so let us see how to stop hair loss. First let us see what is the normal hair growth & hair loss cycle. The normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2 to 6 years. Each hair grows around just a centimeter, which is less than half an inch, per month during this phase of 2 to 6 years. About 90 percent of the hair on your scalp is growing, and the remaining 10 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase. Then after around 3 months, the resting hair falls out & then new hair starts to grow in its place. It is actually normal to shed some hair each day as a part of this cycle.

However, some people do experience a much excessive hair loss, which can affect everyone ie men, women and children.
There are various reasons which can cause excessive hair loss. It can be after about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery or operation you have had, that time you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is because of the stress after the illness & is temporary. Hormonal problems are one of the reasons; you may lose a lot of hair if your thyroid gland is overactive or under-active. This can usually be prevented by treatment of the thyroid disease. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormones are also out of balance, & correcting the hormonal imbalance may prevent you from facing hair loss. Also, many women, just 2 to 3 months after they have delivered a baby, notice hair loss, which is also related to hormones. During pregnancy, there are high levels of certain hormones which cause the body to keep hair intact especially the ones would normally fall out. But when the hormones return to normal levels, those hairs fall out & the normal cycle of growth & loss begins again.

There are some medicines as well which can cause hair loss. You can prevent this if you stop taking those medicines, but after consulting a doctor. Medicines that can cause this include blood thinners, also called anticoagulants, medicines for gout problems, medicines used in chemotherapy for cancer, excessive intake of vitamin A, birth control pills & even certain antidepressants. Certain infections like fungal infections of the scalp can also cause hair loss. These are easily treated with some antifungal medicines. Lastly, hair loss may also occur as part of a disease that you may be suffering, such as diabetes. It is important to find the cause so that it can be treated since hair loss is usually an early sign of a disease. I hope these above causesand tips will help you take care of your hair well, and prevent you from facing this major problem.

You must be logged in to leave a rating.
Average rating: (0 votes)